What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with operation of German SD 0.5

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Does anyone could explain operation of WW2 German sub-munition SD 0.5kg ?
I don't really understand complete operation.
The striker is forced into the primer cap when the safety is released by parachute and the grenade explode.
So I understand grenade explode in the air ?!
The documentation mentions 2 or 4s delay. Does that mean grenades explode after 2s or 4s delay ?
I assume it could be very difficult to drop the bomb or open the container to the good altitude for explosion on the ground !

Regards

1.jpg2.jpg

Exact, they were to be released on a specific heighth and with a specific speed to enshure their explosion on a effective heigth above the ground. Most probably it was not a big succes and most ended their life as a "behilfshandgranate" ( emergency handgrenade).
I have not ever seen a parachute , nor the two halves cannister housing the bomb body and parachute in my 30+ years as a collector.

If one looks closely at the dimensions, weights and operation of this alleged "SD 0,5", it becomes clear that it actually is the SK 70 variant of the Stoerkoerper aerial grenade, intended for hindering attacks from the rear (just like its Soviet counterpart, the AG-2).
The grenade was to be launched from an aircraft with the SKAV device and explode in air a couple of seconds after the parachute opened, from 90 to 250 m behind the aircraft (depending on fuze delay and aircraft speed). Original specifications were for 1 or 2 s delay, while OP 1666 reports 2 or 4 s - either another of many mistakes in the report, either the delay time was changed indeed.
The SK was eventually cancelled after tests conducted by the E-Stelle Tarnewitz in favour of rear firing guns aimed with periscope sights.