What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing old decorators masking tape

reccetrooper

Premium Member
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove old dried out decorators masking tape from paper labels?

I have a wartime box that has masking tape stuck on the paper label. The tape's adhesive is well and truly dried out and the tape is firmly stuck. Someone had tried peeling away the edge of the tape previously and had delaminated part of the paper label. I have stuck the delaminated part of the label back onto the box, but I don't know how to remove the dried on masking tape.

Steam from a kettle does not work, so I guess I need something that will work as a solvent to soften the dried tape's adhesive, without destroying the printed label.

Any suggestions?

Try a very small area with paint thinners iv had great success remove all types of marker pen and most modern adhesives but please try with caution

I'm going to have a rummage in the garage to see if I can find anything with old masking tape on it to use as a test item, then try paint thinners on it, if it works I'll then tackle the box.
The problem with WD40 is it will soak into the label.

I have successfully used lighter fuel ( on the advice of an experienced book-binder) for similar, although not as tough, situations.

You could used neat alcohol or methes .You need to find out what the glue base is soluble with. A cotton wool bud soaked in each and a bit I'd testing would solve the problem.

Used this stuff too:

De.Solv.it� Sticky Stuff Remover 250ml - STX-551150

In the UK from Wilkinsons and Lidl (about three pounds) or eBay ( about ten pounds!).

Last edited: