Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

ID pls- naval sea mine Horn

Hi,
    is this horn for a german ww2 sea mine, more infos? I can only find a Number on the base...
    Its Type GV right? The pictures in this Mine Disposal Handbook PartVI German Underwater Ordnance
    are not good.
    https://de.scribd.com/document/73272...water-Ordnance

thx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fkw81; 17th December 2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: addition

Thanks
    I would say yes, it is a german WW2 Hertz horn and should be about 15,9 cm length overall. But, I'm no expert in sea-mines. I do not know the type of mine it was used with.
    bellifortis.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellifortis For This Useful Post:

fkw81 (23rd December 2016)

Thanks
    Hi,
    The horn
    It is made of malleable metal (lead). Its rupture or deformation causes the rupture of an ampoule containing an electrolytic liquid (potassium dichromate) which spreads over two "ZINC CHARBON" electrodes. The battery thus formed creates an electric current capable of exciting a detonator.
    The horns fixed on the lower hemisphere of the mine are bent to allow the electrolyte to flow over the electrodes.100_1546.JPGCapture1.JPGImage1.jpgp04ch2pg29.jpgp04ch2pg30.jpgumb.JPG
    This is by far the most used type of horn.

Note: On some mines the electric current thus created can complete a cell element and on others close a relay.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lulus For This Useful Post:

fkw81 (23rd December 2016), wichitaslumlord (7th January 2017)

Thanks
    German EMC mine. some from my collection. second picture is EMC mine horn, last is UMA mine horn. UMA mine horn is few centimeter longer from EMC
    DSC06174.jpgDSC06173.jpgolovmi rog 017.jpg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajkule For This Useful Post:

fkw81 (23rd December 2016), wichitaslumlord (7th January 2017)

Thanks
    Hallo,
    just out of interest : Does anybody know how much electrical energy (V, A) a Hertz Horn battery produced. It can't be very much (1,5 V) if only 1 cell was used. Or were there more than 1 cell connected together ?.
    Bellifortis.
    Quote Originally Posted by lulus View Post
    Hi,
    The horn
    It is made of malleable metal (lead). Its rupture or deformation causes the rupture of an ampoule containing an electrolytic liquid (potassium dichromate) which spreads over two "ZINC CHARBON" electrodes. The battery thus formed creates an electric current capable of exciting a detonator.
    The horns fixed on the lower hemisphere of the mine are bent to allow the electrolyte to flow over the electrodes.100_1546.JPGCapture1.JPGImage1.jpgp04ch2pg29.jpgp04ch2pg30.jpgumb.JPG
    This is by far the most used type of horn.

Note: On some mines the electric current thus created can complete a cell element and on others close a relay.