What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID pls- naval sea mine Horn

I would say yes, it is a german WW2 Hertz horn and should be about 15,9 cm length overall. But, I'm no expert in sea-mines. I do not know the type of mine it was used with.
bellifortis.

Hi,
The horn
It is made of malleable metal (lead). Its rupture or deformation causes the rupture of an ampoule containing an electrolytic liquid (potassium dichromate) which spreads over two "ZINC CHARBON" electrodes. The battery thus formed creates an electric current capable of exciting a detonator.
The horns fixed on the lower hemisphere of the mine are bent to allow the electrolyte to flow over the electrodes.100_1546.JPGCapture1.JPGImage1.jpgp04ch2pg29.jpgp04ch2pg30.jpgumb.JPG
This is by far the most used type of horn.

Note: On some mines the electric current thus created can complete a cell element and on others close a relay.

German EMC mine. some from my collection. second picture is EMC mine horn, last is UMA mine horn. UMA mine horn is few centimeter longer from EMC
DSC06174.jpgDSC06173.jpgolovmi rog 017.jpg

Hallo,
just out of interest : Does anybody know how much electrical energy (V, A) a Hertz Horn battery produced. It can't be very much (1,5 V) if only 1 cell was used. Or were there more than 1 cell connected together ?.
Bellifortis.
Hi,
The horn
It is made of malleable metal (lead). Its rupture or deformation causes the rupture of an ampoule containing an electrolytic liquid (potassium dichromate) which spreads over two "ZINC CHARBON" electrodes. The battery thus formed creates an electric current capable of exciting a detonator.
The horns fixed on the lower hemisphere of the mine are bent to allow the electrolyte to flow over the electrodes.View attachment 128616View attachment 128617View attachment 128618View attachment 128619View attachment 128620View attachment 128621
This is by far the most used type of horn.

Note: On some mines the electric current thus created can complete a cell element and on others close a relay.