What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10.5 cm ww1

vickers

I've bought a 10.5cm german, ww1 but i don't know this model. It had a hole in the bottom. Can somebody help me out please?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 90
It will be easilier with dimensions ! Length with fuze, length without fuze,...

Yoda

Hello,
I believe its a 10.5 drill round for the gun crew practice drills? If I'm right the fuse is not removable.
Cheers!

Hello,

Starshell is right it's an inert dummy round ("Ex."). The fuze should be a "Ex.Hz05".

Regards

A Drill round that has a full calibre driving band will stick in the bore every time....and as such it would show engraving marks....which this one does not. So, it was either never used or it is not a Drill round. Drill rounds are supposed to have the driving band machined flat or removed, to ensure non fouling of the rifling. All the Drill rounds I have seen are like that...except for all those 105mm How quasi Drill rounds that were everywhere a few years ago. They were just excess HE projectiles that had been repainted as "Drill" for a quick sale to us plebs.

A Drill round that has a full calibre driving band will stick in the bore every time....and as such it would show engraving marks....which this one does not. So, it was either never used or it is not a Drill round. Drill rounds are supposed to have the driving band machined flat or removed, to ensure non fouling of the rifling. All the Drill rounds I have seen are like that...except for all those 105mm How quasi Drill rounds that were everywhere a few years ago. They were just excess HE projectiles that had been repainted as "Drill" for a quick sale to us plebs.

We have the same 10.5cm fuzed "Ex.Hz05" so "Exerzier Gr." (drill shell).

Other examples of German dummy rounds were made of steel with bands (converted shells or special shape).

105 ex.jpg105 2.jpg

7.5 Jgr18 Ex.jpg

Thank you for the info Minen. I can only assume that when conducting loading drill, the shell was not fully rammed, otherwise the band would foul the rifling and slow down the entire process. We learn every day.