What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

67 fuze switch query

SG500

Premium Member
Having collected SD 2 butterfly bombs and their fuzes for a number of years I have come across 2 main types of 67 timed fuze. The ones I'm going to call the "standard" type and the ones with the "dummy switch". I have come across 5 of the dummy switched variety, 4 from old British collections in good condition but in the last month 1 ground dug one from Latvia.

The following show some of the differences between the 2 types.

If anyone has any further information about the dummy switched types/why they were used etc then I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Top view. Standard to the left, dummy switched to the right. Note also that the fixing screws protrude through the top of the standard type but do not on the dummy switched type.
IMG_1892.jpg

Close up to show dummy switch. All observed to date have the "switch" in this orientation.
IMG_1893.jpg

Top view of recently Latvian found fuze with dummy switch next to good condition fuze with dummy switch from old UK collection.
IMG_1894.JPG

Side view of the last photograph. Recently found Latvian fuze with dummy switch shown to the left. The case has broken off to expose inner workings.
IMG_1895.jpg
Bottom view of fuzes, the standard to the left and the one with the dummy switch to the right. NOTE the orientation of the "67" on the upper face is in the same direction, screws and det spring channel are in differing orientation to the base.
IMG_1897.jpg

All are INERT.

Dave.

Last edited:
Could it be that the dummy switch is there to confuse anybody brave enough to creep up for a closer look? (Like they did on "Danger UXB" - Episode 10 - "Butterfly Winter".)

Or used up old parts? Because i know dummy switches only from early ones

A good idea but old parts from what? Its is unlike a 41 fuze which has a real switch. This one is simply false markings on the case of the fuze. Perhaps Montagu is correct, it could be a dummy switch to confuse anyone trying to make it safe.

Dave.

Prompted me to check my collection Dave. I do not have the ones with dummy switch. I would guess they are early parts to use up,which came in handy to confuse BD personel at the same time?

waffy

Prompted me to check my collection Dave. I do not have the ones with dummy switch. I would guess they are early parts to use up,which came in handy to confuse BD personel at the same time?

waffy

They're easy to miss but are out there Waffy