What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown projectile ID needed

Spaceinvader

Hello everyone,
I am looking for an ID on the projectile that was posted on one of the Facebook ordnance groups. The owner said it was found in upper Canada on the tundra. He said it was filled with something that resembled rocks held toghether with cement. Other than that info and the pictures provided that is all I have.
Hopefully someone knows what it is. Thanks very much!
Rhys

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 67
It is as fkw81 has said. It is an early Vietnam era 6.5 Lb. warhead for the 2.75 inch rocket, actually preceding the Hydra program, which started with the Apache. The example still has the early bulkhead portion of the rocket motor screwed onto it.

Ohhh yes! I see that now, I didn't recognize it because the bottom was not threaded. Very nice guys and thank you very much!!

Was it found on the shilo range?

@HAZORD
Now I can remember this old version had knife wings in the base and the hydra side wings, thanks:tinysmile_twink_t:

Last edited:
Im not sure fk81, he just said it was found on the "tundra", so whatever that counts as! But I suspect yes probably Shilo.

Wow Sebastian! Those rocket pods look familiar.

Yes, the older 2.75 inch rockets use the fold-out knife fins and a shorter motor body. The Hydra uses the longer Mk. 66 motor body with roll-out fins.