What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Training Mills 36 ? What era?

Millsman

Premium Member
I saw one of these on ebay a while back and thought it was very odd but forgot to bid on it. A couple of months ago I had the chance to buy one so took the opportunity.

Basically it has all the attributes of a training Mills apart from the extra large 'filler hole'. This hole leads into a tin lined container which is fitted inside the body.

I don't think this is a lighter as it is not an adaptation. It looks too operational to be decorative (ignore the lever which is non standard).

The grenade weighs 2.46 pounds so is heavier than a live grenade would be.

Anyone got any ideas?

Photos attached.

John

SSCN5136.JPGSSCN5135.JPGSSCN5134.JPGSSCN5133.JPG

These are recently made and a clipper lighter fits in where the filler screw goes,,,,,,, Dave

lighter.png

Mmmm. Not sure about that Dave. The Clipper has a slope on one side and I don't think it would fit in very far. Maybe the bottom inch or less. I've also Googled - grenade, clipper lighter - and come up with nothing like this Mills. It also looks older than recent. It's proper cast iron.

The only way I can test the theory is to get a Clipper lighter. When I had my shop I used to sell modified .50 cal cases which had a slot cut in one side to accommodate that slope.

The inner part of the hole is 17.8mm in diameter. Not very large.

John

Last edited:
These are recently made and a clipper lighter fits in where the filler screw goes,,,,,,, Dave

View attachment 129037

I have at last tracked down a circular based Clipper lighter to test Dave's theory that these are recently made for the Clipper lighter.

Please excuse the state of the lighter but I found it in the street today.

After a wash I tried it in the grenade. It does not fit at all, just pokes out the top. So can hardly made for the Clipper lighter.

This grenade is old. The cast iron has a good patina on it. So I'm looking for more suggestions please.

John
SSCN5349.JPGSSCN5350.JPG

The 'filler hole' has been cast that size and the cavity underneath it has been fitted with a tin plate tube. As I said in post #1 the 'grenade' is heavier than normal so I suspect the bulk of the body is solid cast iron. Dave may be right that it had a lighter fitted at some stage but the use of the tin plate tube probably puts this back into the 40's or 50's at latest. The 'striker' and lever are just cosmetic. The striker does not pull out.

John