What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown AP core

Haenosaki

Hello All,

I have an unknown AP core, I would like to know more about.
Dimensions are: L 11.8cm, W 4.9cm, Weight 2808 grams.
There is a black painted text on the ogive and on the bottom that reads: 127H
On the Dutch forum I received the tip that it might be a 20pdr APDS core, but the measurements I found on another topic in here, where different. Maybe there are multiple versions of the 20pdr APDS. round? It seems to be shorter and wider.
Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• 20170102_224956.jpg
    20170102_224956.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 47
I have seen 2 different 20pdr APDS projectiles, the British ones and I have seen a Canadian one. Possible they used different shaped cores. Sweet piece too!

I have seen 2 different 20pdr APDS projectiles, the British ones and I have seen a Canadian one. Possible they used different shaped cores. Sweet piece too!
Thanks, I'll try to find pictures of the different types.
Does anybody have more ideas on this core?

The length to width ratio of your core seems very low compared to the majority of cores I have seen.

The Russian 76mm arrowhead has a relatively short front core with a piece behind, see photo. This is NOT what yours is as the front core on the 76mm is only about 7.5cm long, but I'm thinking yours may be from something with a similar core set up.

Dave.

IMG_1906.JPG

The length to width ratio of your core seems very low compared to the majority of cores I have seen.

The Russian 76mm arrowhead has a relatively short front core with a piece behind, see photo. This is NOT what yours is as the front core on the 76mm is only about 7.5cm long, but I'm thinking yours may be from something with a similar core set up.

Dave.
Hi Dave,
You gave me a nudge in the right direction. I think it is a Russian 100mm 3BM8 or 3BM11 core. The dimensions and size match up with various references and cross sections I found online and on the NVBMB site.
Thanks for helping out.