What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S-8 KOM basefuze

Bellifortis

Hallo,
pictured is the instructional model fuze or fuzing system of a russian S-8 KOM unguided air to ground rocket. As you can see the BD part of the PIBD fuze is just a fullmetal aluminum piece shaped like the original. The part with the spring seems to be some kind of arming or selfdestruct fuze. This looks like a raw body that has been taken from the production line before being filled/assembled with any functional parts. Does anybody know the designations, construction and function of the real thing. Any info would be appreciated very much. Thanking you for your consideration in advance, I remain,
Bellifortis.Base fuze S-8 KOM (school model) - (800x533).jpgBase fuze S-8 KOM (schooling model) (800x533).jpg

Hallo FZG76,
I compared our fotos of the fuzes of the S-8 KOM. They are different models. I have never seen the one you showed. In my fotos the left brown plastic part is just a sleeve with a female threading in the bottom. The upper middle aluminum part is the BD part of the PIBD fuze. The BD assemblies of russian fuzes generally have the same outer shapes and some are used in more than one warhead. It's top fits into the hole of the plastic sleeve. The assembly with the spring on the right side of the photo looks very similar to the one in a V-5 M1 rocket fuze. This is assembled behind the piezo-basepart in the sleeve. The cup in the bottom of the photo is the boostercup with male threading and screws into the bottom of the plasticsleeve to fasten the whole assembly. Comparing our fotos I suspect that my model is of an older type and yours more modern. Your's from 1991 and mine from 1978. In 13 years time technology develops a lot. I can't read cyrrilic letters. But looking at an Alphabet the stampings on the bottom of the booster cup seem to read (cyrrilic H=N) "N-26A". Is N a general description for boosters ? May be the model of the booster ? Does anybody have a detailed description of the function ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.