What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

64 Pr Studded shell

Buster

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
The pictures show a 64lb studded shell recently recovered from the sea. I was surprised to see dates on the shell of 1900 and 1901. I thought these were long obsolete by then and certainly would not still be in production. Can anyone give me any information on this, and explain the various markings (not 64Pr) ? Also what fuze would be fitted? The pictures are the only ones I have. Thanks in advance.

Shell.011.jpegShell.002.jpegShell.007.jpegShell.008.jpeg

Buster,

It would appear there was a choice of two fuzes; Fuze, Percussion, D.A. Impact and Fuze, Time, 15 Seconds M.L. The problem with the designation of the former is that it could possibly be, what became the No. 13, 17, 18 or 19 (possibly more).

TimG

IMG_0077.jpg

Hi I also have one of these 64lb rml but mine has no date that I can see and different markings on the bottom does anybody know what they mean R L which I know is royal labs D which I think maybe the mark and 22 over a line with 9 below can anyone if possible help with a date and meaning to the other marks on the bottom thanks wg

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk