What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blowpipe

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I try to find information on the web and on this forum on UK missile blowpipe but I'm little confused.
I found lot of references for same missile and variants : blowpipe (name of launcher ?), javalin, starburst.
It's not very easy to understand.
And about blowpipe what is the difference between K91, K102, K103, prac K93, etc...
No docs and no details.
I understand it could be confidential.

Regards

Blowpipe was the first missile to be developed. It went into service in the mid 70s and was an MCLOS system.

Javelin replaced Blowpipe. It went into service in the mid 80s and was a SACLOS system.

Both Blowpipe and Javelin had a single missile per launch tube with integral warhead.

Javelin S15 or Starburst had a laser command link rather than the RF link in the earlier systems

Starstreak replaced Javelin in the mid 90s and has one missile that has 3 dart submunitions to increase the chance of a hit.

It's been a long time since I built Javelin Prac darts but the prac dart was fitted with a first stage motor to give the firer experience of the launch effects. Firing the K143 (Javelin S15 prac dart) also allowed the firer to track the target giving him further practice. The HVM (High Velocity Missile or Starstreak) missile which replaced the Javelin had the model number of K132 for the prac dart (K130 for the HE missile) also did the same but the main method of launching for the HVM is from a vehicle as opposed to the shoulder or LML which was the case for Javelin/Blowpipe so the firer doesn't get the same launch effects.