What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1970 36M det tin

reccetrooper

Premium Member
Recently found a 1970 manufactured 36M detonator tin, all the det tins I've owned previously have been 40's/50's/60's manufacture. Is 1970 manufacture uncommon?

Attachments

• IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 28
Can anyone comment on whether a 1970 manufactured tin is particularly uncommon. I will probably be putting it on eBay and I always try to describe things accurately.

SAM_0013.jpgSAM_0012.jpgSAM_0011.jpg]

As you say the earlier dated ones are more common. I have later dated one, I can't remember if its 70 or 71 off the top of my head, it surprises me they were making new ones this late, seeing as there seems to be a lot of re painted and re issued earlier ones around.

I found these pics I took a while back, but I didn't take a pic of the base, and don't have it handy. I will do when I come across it again.

Last edited:
I've got a few of these tins and the youngest of them is from 1967. I've got a couple from the 50's and 60's. The WW2 versions fetch the best prices.

John

Can anyone comment on whether a 1970 manufactured tin is particularly uncommon. I will probably be putting it on eBay and I always try to describe things accurately.

I've not seen a 70 before. Possibly the last year as they would have been planning to phase out the 36 at that time.

John

Thank you both for your comments.

Here are photos showing the tin's markings, slightly later lot number (35) than roller63's (30) but the same issue date (10/71)

Attachments

• IMG_2009.JPG
    IMG_2009.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 11
I've not seen a 70 before.
John

I have seen at least a couple of dozen from 1970 and 1971, and somewhere I seem to recollect a 1972 one being on sale.

John - every now and again they come up on eBay for 10 a penny anyway, but if you are particularly keen to have a 70s one now, PM me with your details so I can send you one. I use them for keeping bits and bobs, but I still have the internals.

Tom.

Attachments

• Tins..jpg
    Tins..jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 16
John - every now and again they come up on eBay for 10 a penny anyway, but if you are particularly keen to have a 70s one now, PM me with your details so I can send you one. I use them for keeping bits and bobs, but I still have the internals.

Tom.

Thanks for the offer Tom but I'm not a collector that needs every years date on a tin. The few representative samples I have are fine by me. John