What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact Nose fuzes No.864 and No.879Mk.1

pzgr40

Premium Member
Impact Nose fuzes No.38 and No.879Mk.1

Cutaway models of nose fuze No. 879Mk.1 and nose fuze No. 38, both used in the WW2Brittish 30 Lb (11,3 kg) incendiary bomb.
This bomb was filled with a mixture of 2,72 kg Benzol- resin and 0,67 kg white Phospor
Both fuzes have a 28 grams black powder ignition charge that ignite the incendiary mixture and rip open the sheet metal bomb body.
Both fuzes are completely brass made , exept for the firing pin and the tin housing the black powder charge.
Both fuzes have a firing cap, placed in an inertia weight, held up by a compression spring. In both cases the spring rests against a sheet brass ring with four strips bend inward. Upon impact, the inertia weight compresses the spring and bends the strips forward, so the firing cap can reach the firing pin. The flame of this firing cap travels down into the black powder magazine, igniting the incendiary bomb.

The nose fuze No. 38 has a transport safety that consists of the firing pin screwed out of the fuze body. Before hanging the bomb in the bomb rack of the bomber, the armourer screws the firing pin inward, thus removing the transport safety.

The nose fuze No. 879Mk.1 has a safety that consists of a steel ball , fixating weight housing the firing cap in it’s backward position. This ball is held in inward position by a split pin during transport. Before hanging thebomb in the bomb rack of the bomber, the armourer removes the split pin so the ball can move outward, thus removing the transport safety.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• Impact Nose fuzes No.38 and No.879Mk.1.jpg
    Impact Nose fuzes No.38 and No.879Mk.1.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 30lb incendiary mk3.jpg
    30lb incendiary mk3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hello DJH,

Is it possible to see nomenclature marking of No879 MkI, only found No846 Mk I and Mk I/A.

Documentations describe No 879 MkI identical to No 846 MkI, except that it has 5 gm of Aluminium powder in magazine. The two fuzes are therefore externally indistinguishable.
As far as I'm aware the body of your fuze is the same as 846 MkI/A (thin central ring on body).

So my question is, what is the body used for 879 ? Is it the body of 846 MkI or 846 MkI/A ?

Regards

879.jpg

Hi,

As always, nice work !

No. 879 is not mentioned in OP 1665 Change 3 from 1970; Book skips from no. 874 to 880. (EDIT : I should have read better, thanks MINENAZ16)
Its body looks the same as the no. 846 Mk I S.M.S. http://spaghetti-wars.de/html/gallerien/bilder/GB.Bombenzuender 2WK/No 846 MK I S.M.S.html
I haven't found the original OP 1665 from 1945, so I don't know if it's inside. Does someone know if it's available online somewhere ? (and maybe changes 1 & 2)
Last question, in which other doc can I find this fuze ? (EDIT : ANSWERED BY MINENAZ16) (RE-EDIT : Found also here : USNBD - British bombs and fuzes)

Regards,

S.

Last edited:
Hi,

As always, nice work !

No. 879 is not mentioned in OP 1665 Change 3 from 1970; Book skips from no. 874 to 880. (EDIT : I should have read better, thanks MINENAZ16)
Its body looks the same as the no. 846 Mk I S.M.S. http://spaghetti-wars.de/html/gallerien/bilder/GB.Bombenzuender 2WK/No 846 MK I S.M.S.html
I haven't found the original OP 1665 from 1945, so I don't know if it's inside. Does someone know if it's available online somewhere ? (and maybe changes 1 & 2)
Last question, in which other doc can I find this fuze ? (EDIT : ANSWERED BY MINENAZ16) (RE-EDIT : Found also here : USNBD - British bombs and fuzes)

Regards,

S.

The picture on the link shows a Mk I/A