What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith and Wesson Pegasus illumination rocket

copdoc

These were made by Smith and Wesson during the 80s but then discontinued. Looks like a copy of Pains Wessex rocket and igniter system. There was little on net about them and they were made by Smith and Wesson so I thought some of you might like to see it. Deactivated for examination. Ignition system is more complex that the military popups but it could be fired with one hand.

pagasus 1.jpgpegasus 10.jpgpegasus 7.jpgpegasus 6.jpgPegasus 8.jpgPegasus 9.jpgpegasus 3.jpgpegasus 4.jpgpegasus 5.jpg

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Pains Wessex offering, but the above looks like a copy of the Schermuly 'Icarus' flare, in military guise "Rocket 1.5in Illuminating, Para ..."

Does the S&W firing mechanism use a 'sawn off' 9mm case?

TimG

P.S. S.P.R.A. was a family company until 1973 when it was bought by Wilkinson Sword, amalgamated with Pains-Wessex. All production transferred to Salisbury approx 1981. End of Schermuly. 1986 Chemring acquired Pains-Wessex.

Last edited:
Ignition is just the small primer taped to white paper in 3rd photo. No cartridge case or powder train was present.

I think I have shot an Icarus many years ago but never had one to examine.

Here is a drawing from their catalog. Comments appreciated. I have seen Pains Wessex illumination rounds and have catalogs but have never taken one apart.

20170106_144524.jpg

Not familiar with the Pains Wessex offering, but the above looks like a copy of the Schermuly 'Icarus' flare, in military guise "Rocket 1.5in Illuminating, Para ..."

Does the S&W firing mechanism use a 'sawn off' 9mm case?

TimG

Hello copdoc,

Interested by dimensions, total length and diameter please. Thank you.

Regards

Certainly
Length about 9.75 inches
Upper diameter about 1.495 inches
Tail diameter about 1.520 inches

20170111_131747-1.jpg

Last edited:
Firing mechanism showing primer pocket. Small primer not shotgun primer like many pyrotechnics.
20170111_132702-1.jpg

20170111_132847-1.jpg

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the pictures from the manual, any chance of the other pages from that chapter ?
Cheers
Gary

How many years lie between the price-quotations of the preceding post and the one in the first post. Thats a 300 % price increase.

As no one else has seen fit to mention it, I would suggest that stripping (inerting) or as otherwise described "deactivating for examination" of 40 year old pyrotechnic rockets is not considered a generally safe or advisable procedure for the untrained. Further, it may potentially run afoul of some forum rules.

I agree with US Subs. Flares, like other pyrotechnics are dangerous.

Two EOD techs were seriously injured a few years ago destroying pyrotechnics from a case.

This flare was "deactivated for examination" at LE range prior to post. Process of deactivating was not shown or discussed.

Motor and flare disposed of by LE, EOD.

Spotter. Feel free to delete post if necessary.