What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval anchor usage question

sksvlad

I was watching Coronado harbour from my hotel window and detected a destroyer (?) moving slowly with an anchor hanging down. It this a normal mode? Looks precarious to me. Any ship people out there? Rick?
DSCF2412.jpgDSCF2413.jpgDSCF2414.jpg

Vlad

Not sure why they'd do that. My docking job was on the ass-end of the ship, so, just chunking lines to the pier for tieing up. Never got to play on the front end where the anchors were. Early in my naval career I was assigned "anchor watch". Much akin to being sent for a bucket of prop wash or blinker fluid. That's about as close as I got to the anchor.

FYI, that's the USS Sterett DDG-104, so your guess was correct. GOOD JOB!

Last edited:
possibly they were going to need the anchor shortly so didn't bother getting it all the way in,i have seen cargo ships do it

The reason is most probably to lower the anchor fast in case of a black out. With a black out you have no power supply at all; no propulsion and no steering capacity, so one has to be able to brake the ship at the shortest possible term to prevent the ship from hitting the quay or another ship. With the anhor completely retracted, one first has to remove the locking pin and than open the brake, now one only has to open the brake. Compare it to driving in heavy traffic with one foot on the brake pedal continiously.