What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mill 'Red Hand' Baseplug from 1915

Millsman

Premium Member
As a Mills base plug collector I’ve always regarded the famous and scarce ‘Red Hand’ baseplug as a nice one to have but I always wondered why it was the only Mills base plug from WW1 without a makers name on it. Who really was the maker? It has been long been attributed to Barbour Mills Comber in Northern Ireland. Comber is about 10K ESE of Belfast.

However, the facts seem a little different. Doing some checking of original Government documents from 1916 it seems that in 1915/6 Mills grenade production in Ulster was under the control of the ‘Belfast Committee’ which was a co-operative of 20 firms locally. ‘Barbour Mills’ were not a named contractor at that stage. The Belfast Committee were awarded contract T.W. 283 to produce 250,000 Mills grenades at 20,000 a week. The first being delivered in November 1915. In the Summer of 1915 William Mills was pressed to visit Belfast which he did to assist a Captain Cargill with production issues. This was soon after the Mills entered service and probably as Belfast were starting production testing.

Barbour Mills as a company may never have existed under that name. The firm were actually thread makers based at Hilden which is in Lisburn to the South West of Belfast, and just before 1900 William Barbour and Sons merged with other makers to form Linen Thread Ltd so ‘Barbour Mills’ may not have existed as a business in WW1 or ever, though Combe, Barbour Ltd did exist in WW1

The two main local foundries in Belfast were run by MacAdam Brothers at the SoHo foundary and the Falls Foundry run by James Combe which became a part of Fairbairn Lawson Combe Barbour Ltd in 1900 (it may have become just Combe, Barbour Ltd by 1915) . This company made equipment for the spinning industries locally and in Scotland. There was also a firm called James Mackie which made linen industry related machines and they were involved in arms manufacture in both wars.

So the facts are that in 1915 the Government contract for Mills grenades was awarded to the Belfast Committee, a co-operative of 20 businesses. At the same time Combe, Barbour Ltd were awarded contracts to produce 2” Howitzer Bombs and Gaines but not grenades. Later in 1916 contracts were awarded to a small number of firms in Northern Ireland to make Mills grenades.

The original Source for the Red Hand base plug seems to come from a book by Howard Williamson called ‘Dictionary of Great War Abbreviations’ published in 1966. This has a list of Mills Base Plugs as an appendix at the back. It states ‘Barbour Mills Foundry’ as the maker for the ‘Hand’ base plug.

Conclusion.

Combe, Barbour Ltd existed in. However Barbour Mills did not exist under than name. No grenade contracts were given to these firms in 1915. To attribute the Red Hand base plug to ‘Barbour Mills of Comber’ looks to be factually incorrect.

The industrial evidence and that in official Government documents points to the Belfast Committee being the correct attribution for this base plug.

Sorry if the detail is confusing but I suspect that was why the mistake was made in the first place.

Happy to take comments. The research was interesting and shows we should perhaps never take 'facts' at face value.

John

Last edited:
I don't have a real one! The one I have is in my set of French fakes. Even the Ulster Tower on the Somme has a fake one on display.

They are pretty rare.

John

DSCN2940.JPG

Fake - top left!

Hi,

Here's a real one. It was brought home by a chap that was serving in India during WW1.

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3321.JPG
    IMG_3321.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 92
  • No5.jpg
    No5.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Maybe that's why they are so rare - shipped to India.

John

Could well have. I got it from the daughter of the chap that brought it home. She knew nothing about it, other than it was here dads.

Last edited:
Possible manufacturer - Challenge Cycle Co., Foleshill Road, Coventry. Made plugs and adapters

TimG

hand.jpg

Possible manufacturer - Challenge Cycle Co., Foleshill Road, Coventry. Made plugs and adapters

TimG

View attachment 129993

Thanks for the suggestion Tim

I think in this case there are a few things against it.

1. In 1916 they are listed as only making fuze hole plugs
2. By 1918 they had expanded to make 6 lb shells, turnbuckles and cartridge adaptors.
3. They are not listed as grenade or grenade parts makers in the Ministry of Munitions list from 1918.
4. The hand as their symbol is probably a link to the traditional industry in Warwickshire of Glove Making. It may be that the owners family was traditionally linked to that trade before getting into cycles and motors (using Villiers engines).
5. The hand on the base plug is vertical as is the Red Hand of Ulster.
6. The MoM documentation clearly states the 1915 grenade production in Ulster was under the 'Belfast Committee' a group made up of a number of firms. There's strong logic of them making a base plug with no name, but having their local symbol to represent this group.

John

That's a nice original grenade Colin

Thanks Dave. It was very nearly destroyed. It was advertised on a local auction site and on day one the lady advertising it was asked if it was inert. Dispite the filling plug sitting proud, she had no idea and decided to take it to the police. A number of people tried to diswade her, but she became concerned and wanted to do the right thing. I sent her my contact details and offered to help. On about day two the auction was pulled and I thought the inevitable had happen. A couple of weeks later she contacted me and said she'd been to the police station 3 times, but they never followed up (got to love rural police stations). She offered it to me at the last bid price and it now sits proudly in my collection. It was inert of cause and I think that's what the mustard coloured paint indicates. Cheers

All credit to you Colin or saving that one and it could possibly be the only totally original one left as I have never known of another example, is there a X at the top of the lever lugs ?

Hi. Thanks for your comments. Here's a few more pics of the complete grenade. I'm reasonably confident that I'm the first collector to own it and that it's in its as inerted configuration. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3323.JPG
    IMG_3323.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3330.jpg
    IMG_3330.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 40
That's a super example.

"It was inert of cause and I think that's what the mustard coloured paint indicates."

I think it's most likely the paint band was once pink. The Red Vermillion has leached out leaving a yellowy mustard base. Vermillion is famous for fading. You also have to consider the paint on these grenades was only meant to last for a couple of months. Not 100 years.

The original mixture for the Pink paint was :

Oxide of zinc 1 oz
Vermillion ½ oz
Terebene 1 ½ oz
Turpentine spirits of ½ oz

Terebene is a mustard colour drying agent which with the remains of zinc oxide gives the colour of your band.

John

Last edited:
Just in case of interest:
These two base plugs were in my reference collection, one came from a dear (and deceased) Northern Ireland friend's collection;

Hand1.JPGHand2.JPG