What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carronade or smasher

copdoc

Not detailed compared to what you guys make but I could add a seagull.

I plan on building a small Carronade with about 3.2 inch bore and instead of drawing plans on paper I tried to make a model. About 1/6 scale. It was going to be just the carrage and barrel but I got carried away, added ship deck, lines, block/tackle and worm/rammer.

Early pic with Pusser's added for scale and in honor of our Brit friends. I understand it is what my ancestors would have been issued over a century ago. The "smasher" and the Pusser's.

20161005_220448.jpg
20161005_220530.jpg
20160923_104610.jpg

Carronade 'Smasher'

Here are a couple of pictures of the pair which stand other side of the entrance to Trinity House, London.

Attachments

• Carronade 'Smasher 1 - 1.jpg
    Carronade 'Smasher 1 - 1.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Carronade 'Smasher 2 - 1.jpg
    Carronade 'Smasher 2 - 1.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 19
Here are a couple of pictures of the pair which stand other side of the entrance to Trinity House, London.

Thanks, I really like that version of a simple wheeled carriage for the lug mounted gun.

I want to build an early replica without trunnions. I like the naval/fortress type mount but it takes up much more space that this one and would be harder to transport.

I took some pics at Annapolis of one of their guns in replica naval mount. It is cannonade, with trunnions rather than the center lug. I am looking at about a 20 inch barrel and 3.2" bore for the larger one.

c1.jpgc2.jpgc3.jpgc4.jpgc5.jpg

The point about the carronades on the little wheel mounts is that a pair were quite often mounted in the Captain/Admirals cabin at the rear of a ship and were then dragged into position for firing when it was passing the stern of an enemy ship.
They had a larger bore and could send a large ball or a lot of grape shot into the opposing Captain/Admirals cabin and down the length of the deck.

They varied according to the size of vessel. These were probably in a frigate because they are quite small, being only about 2 feet high, but you could well have 24 pounders in an Admirals cabin in a ship of the line. These would take some serious manhandling.

I'm wondered about length and bore diameter of the smallest originals and wondered if the ones you posted were smaller than most. Largest Carronade I have seen is a 32 pounder. It looked like quite a beast to handle.

I built 24 pounder Coehorn mortars and although I have transported them by myself they are just too big. Maybe I should just build models. They are much easier to move around.

I can estimate length with known hight. Thanks

Last edited: