What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRB 423 controlled fragmentation handgrenade, Belgium

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a PRB 423 controlled fragmentation handgrenade.
The grenade was designed by PRB, but manufactured by Mecar after PRB was closed.

The grenade is made of five main parts;
-the plastic outer body with ribs to enshure a good grip.
-A fragmentation sleeve lining made of spiraly wound coil with a regtangular section. The coil is notched in such a way that if forms square fragments.
-22 steel balls in the bottom plug, and 30 steel balls in the upper part of the grenade body.
-the explosive filler.
-The PRB 432 pyrotechnic time fuze with a four seconds delay.

The grenade is designed in such a way that it has an uniform fragmentation pattern whatever the position of the grenade is at the moment of explosion.

Diameter of the grenade body: 50mm
Length of the grenade body: 60mm
Length of the complete handgrenade: 82mm
Weight of the complete grenade: 230 grams
Weight of the grenade body: 180 grams
Weight of the fuze: 50 grams
Wieght of the explosive filler (comp B): 60 grams
Number of fragments : appr. 900
Weight of fragments : coil 0,105 gram, balls 0,1 gram
Lethal radius: 9 mtrs
Safety radius : 20 mtrs

The grenade is also known under the name M72.

The same handgrenade without the fragmentation sleeve and balls is produced under the name PRB Nr.446. It has no fragmentation and is meant as an offensive handgrenade. It is made of brown plastic. It has an explosive charge of 85 grams of comp B.
This grenade is also known under the name M72A1.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - PRB 423 controlled fragmentation handgrenade cutaway.jpg
    01 - PRB 423 controlled fragmentation handgrenade cutaway.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 02 - PRB 423 controlled fragmentation handgrenade backside.jpg
    02 - PRB 423 controlled fragmentation handgrenade backside.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 60
Thanks Darren. I am slowly going towards the 300th cutaway posting on the Wk2ammo forum. The 300 th posting will be a special posting ....a very precise big banger. ;)

WOW that's a great cutaway collection! I would love to see some photos of all the cutaways displayed along side each other as a complete collection.

I look forward to seeing what you have to show as number 300.

Thanks Darren. I am slowly going towards the 300th cutaway posting on the Wk2ammo forum. The 300 th posting will be a special posting ....a very precise big banger. ;)