What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 20x124mm drill round

Spaceinvader

Hello everyone,
I just bought this cartridge online. He thinks it is some type of Japanese WW2 drill round. It seems to have been made into a lamp body at some point but with a hole drilled in the tip of the projectile and a threaded hollow rod threaded into the base. If its real I think it still has some value with a little clean up!

The dummy looks very much like a 20x124mm round. I cant tell what the marking is on the bottom either, but the base unscrews, it has a clear drive band, and projectile. It is similar to a Japanese 25mm dummy round also featuring a screw off base which made me hopeful of this one. Could not find anything online (not surprising) so hopefully someone here can tell me!
Rhys

Attachments

• 20mm dummy1.jpg
    20mm dummy1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 49
  • 20mm dummy headstamp2.jpg
    20mm dummy headstamp2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20mm dummy driveband.jpg
    20mm dummy driveband.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20mm dummy base.jpg
    20mm dummy base.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20mm dummy projectile.jpg
    20mm dummy projectile.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20mm dummy base unscrewed.jpg
    20mm dummy base unscrewed.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 29
Looks very much like a brass dummy Type 98 to me( ref Ken Elks volume 2: Japanese Ammunition 1880-1945 20mm-40mm page 124)

Tony

That is exactly what I was thinking too.

Is it still possible to get a copy of that book? Sounds like it would be very useful!