What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danish Museum of All Ordnance, including Naval, from most European Countries.

Sprockets

Does anyone else remember this unparalleled museum, situated in Copenhagen just a mile or so from the famous hippie commune of Christiania. It had everything, generally in perfect condition, including Naval ordnance from GB, DE, FR,IT etc. I was shown an example of the first British mine used in WW1, which was so secret that there is not a manual remaining showing the firing mechanism (The handbook had a pocket containing a drawing to be viewed only by the Captain, and then destroyed, hence remaining manuals have empty pockets, and I don't believe an example survives in the UK) A large glass sphere, not a fishing float, was shown as originating from the British Navy, again in WW1, containing poison gas. Unbelievable! There were examples of every type of torpedo, including intact the very first German homing torpedo. Rockets, shells, bombs were everywhere. The curator stated that the lack of salinity in the Baltic meant that little corrosion took place.He had also a complete collection of land and air based weapons.

The curator told me that he was shortly to retire, and in fact had just held a public open day, where he had demonstrated the functioning of Sauter mines by connecting to the water supply! As the visit was rushed, unfortunately I omitted to obtain the most enthusiastic curator's name.

It seems shortly afterwards the whole museum was closed, and the collection broken up! I have tracked the remains to a depot, where there is insufficient room to house all the exhibits under cover. The present supervisor is interested in making contact with the ex-curator, as so much is unknown. However, nobody in the military in Denmark even recollects the museum, which must have closed around ten years ago (Guessing)! Has anybody any idea of its correct name, or even more importantly, the name of the last curator, who might still be alive, as he was only in his early fifties at the time. Only he would be able to identify many of the more obscure items.

The sheer size and careful presentation, with many of the items having cover plates loosened to display their workings, was unparalleled, with so many "Sole survivors". It is incredible that so far all experts I have contacted have failed to recollect either the museum or the most well informed curator, who was a hands-on EOD man. Any body with info?

Living in hope,
Martin.

Just curious if this depot is referred to as the "Danish Marines Historical Magazine"?

Michel+ Thanks for your excellent suggestion-I will follow it up: somebody in denmark must know!

Dronic69+ I am afraid I can't say, as I never knew the correct name of the Museum,the visit being in a great rush. I was unable to find a reference on the Internet for this institution. Thanks, everything helps. I understood that the musum was primarily for service use to assist in identification, but also open to the public on certain days.

Maybe you could send these guys a call/mail. They seem to be in the same interest zone. High on my list to visit!
http://seawarmuseum.dk/
The danish national military museum - "Tøjhusmuseet" (now also includes the exibitions from the former naval museum "Orlogsmuseet") might be a better place to check: http://natmus.dk/museerne/toejhusmuseet/

Sea War Museum Jutland is a great museum (absolutely worth visiting), but have a very specific and limited focus on WW1 and in particular the Jutland Battle. I visited them last summer, to check out a rather "odd" and out-of context object in their exibition: A german WW2 G7ef(TX) "spinne" torpedo, probably the only surviving example (I'm currenyly working on an article for the museum covering the history and technical design of the torpedo + the "spinne-batteries", since they had no clue of what treasure they posssed... :) ).

I have some danish contacts, and I'll send them an e-mail to see if they might know anything about this.

Last edited:
According to the leader of Museumscenter Hanstholm, this must be the "Søværnets Minørtjenestes samling" (ie the naval EOD-collection). It was located at the danish naval base Holmen in Copenhagen (this area: http://map.krak.dk/m/OkJxZ ).

The collection was established for training purposes of EOD-personell. These type of collections are very common in most countries having this kind of capacity, normally only accessible for military personell (we have a few of those in Norway as well).

The collection at Holmen was moved in 2004, but it's location (and status) is not known. Maybe some of my other contacts have more information (I will let you know).

Greetings, Natter,

I really appreciate the tremendous amount of work that you have put in on my behalf-BOCN was my last hope, as contacting various museums in Denmark, including a Naval Musum that had been in the Nyhavn area, very close to where thee Ordnance collection was, had all drawn a blank! There was a list that you posted, but now withdrawn, in which you had listed provisionally all the places of interest, some years ago, which you had localted. There was a reference to Nyhavn Orlogsmuseet, if I remember correctly. I am sending a PM to you.

I really appreciate the tremendous amount of work that you have put in on my behalf
No problem, and no work; just a matter of sending out an e-mail... :)

including a Naval Musum that had been in the Nyhavn area, very close to where thee Ordnance collection was
That would be "Orlogsmuseet" (closed now, and merged with "Tøjhusmuseet").

There was a list that you posted, but now withdrawn, in which you had listed provisionally all the places of interest, some years ago, which you had localted. There was a reference to Nyhavn Orlogsmuseet, if I remember correctly
Yes, that's right. I removed the list as it became irrelevant after I found the correct answer.