What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

sksvlad

1945, Okinawa, an army medic refuses to touch guns because of his religious belief but excels in his mission http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119532/. Long graphic battle scenes, honest acting, good story. Americans climb a cliff by using a long cargo net to attack the Japanese defenders. Why don't Japanese just cut the cargo net down to stop the attacks?

In case anyone thought this film was pure Hollywood, here is Corpsman(?) Doss receiving his Medal of Honor from President Harry S Truman.

Attachments

• Corpsman Doss - 1.jpg
    Corpsman Doss - 1.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 33
I saw the film on DVD for the first time, two days ago. A remarkable, true story of heroism. Only a fiver from Morrisons. In the extra scenes bit there is an interview with Mr Doss, who lived to the age of 87, dying in 2006. His wife died in 1991.

I quite enjoyed the film but had two questions.

a) In those circumstances could anyone of normal build lower that many people to the bottom of a cliff and not die of exhaustion?

b) why didn't anyone help him?

I would guess the adrenal was really flowing The majority were probably either laying down fire or dodging same.