What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 155x335?

vickers

Hi
today i've found 5 unkown cases. They are german marked, pre ww1. The only dimension i've found is the belgian one. Could this be reissued by the belgian army? They have all the same exact dimensions. Thanks for helping me out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 80
Besides better pictures the rim diameter would help. The Belgium 155 L/24 uses 155x334R176 cases. I expect however these are cut down German WW1 cases (you can see the re-use markings in the images). Typical rim diameters for German navy cases are 178 mm for the L/45 and 176 mm for the L/40. I expect it is the latter.....I will try and get a picture of the Belgium 155 mm case, I expect it is not a straight case.

They are naval patronenfabrik karlsruhe, dated between 1900-1906 with several refill markings. Primer is c12

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 51
Case looks completely German, not even a Belgium primer. I do see some ink residue (a number 6), the font looks Belgium to me but I am no ink expert. Could the ink residue be German? I think they are cut down German cases.

Vickers, are the lengths exactly the same? If a case is cut down you can normally feel that very well. It will have a sharp edge at the inside edge.You will feel it when you go with your nail from the inside to the top.

Yes, all the cases are exactly the same, they are perfectly. The front of the ink stamp does look belgian.

I've seen the same ink markings on german navy cases, looks it shows "16", the year of the last reload, normally its a kind of batch nr with an "/" and the last 2 digits of the year. the picture shows the stamp on a 15 cm L/40, 815 mm case.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 38
I tend to agree with Kees. I go for cut down German cases. Unfortunately, I have no image of a Belgium 155mm L24 case.

I just got confirmation the Belgium 155 mm L/24 is a straight case.......so maybe possible, but then I would like to see both cases next to each other.