What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammo Box and Explosive storage box?

steve R

Picked up these two boxes recently and would appreciate identification.

DSCN9043.jpgDSCN9044.jpgDSCN9045.jpg

It has W76 (over a number 1) stamped into it and N for Naval but what does the W76 over 1 mean? and the red bands

The second box is interesting. I bought it as an ammo box and first notice that it had brass hinges, screws and so thought bomb disposal. I then noticed faint yellow writing under the paint and when rubbed of you can see what it revealed.

DSCN9038.jpgDSCN9040.jpgDSCN9051.jpgDSCN9054.jpg

The words Plastic EXP PE2 Charges can be seen so I will go with my initial hunch (unless you can advise differently) that this contained Bomb disposal explosive?

Steve R

Pic 1 The box is a W76 mark I

Pic 2 The box is a M148 mark 2. It IS an ammo box, the brass furniture is used instead of steel so that it doesn't create sparks. Think more in the line of Engineer stores rather than bomb disposal.

The first package is a Box Wood W 76 Mk 1. This has the "N" for Navy and the two red bands are a navy specific marking indicating that the package held explosive stores.

The second package is an MOD Army Box Wood M 148 and was a dedicated bulk explosive package, which in this case contained 40 x 8oz cartridges Plastic Explosive No 2 total 20lbs.

Hello LCPLCombat.
Thank you for the information, yes that would make sense.

The first box, would you know what ammunition this would have been for or were the same boxes used for different types?

steve

I'm not at home and I don't have my lists with me. I'll have a look at the weekend when i get back, and if I can remember :D I can't remember what a "W" box is for, the only one I have ever seen contained Beehive charges but that was a W131 box

I have a listing for the W76 showing that it was classified to hold CE/TNT blocks - probably for bulk storage at Royal Ordnance Factories or Ammunition Depots within the services.
I have quite a few listings for the M148 showing it as a classified packaging for all marks of PE up to and including PE4. I have also encountered this model in use at ROF's for bulk storage of RDX explosive.
My company acquired quite a few of these M148 boxes ex ROF Bridgewater when it was closing down. We have refurbished them and they are still giving excellent service for packaging plastic explosives, cords etc broken down from larger bulk packaging.