What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 Brit Mk II charger question

sksvlad

I read in an old 2009 post by a member called "relbut" that "The early Mark II chargers have a small "nib" on both sides at RH end, this was done away with on the later Mark II and all other Marks. The "nib" was to facilitate the location of the charger on the SMLE MkI which had a sliding guide on the bolthead. As the SMLE MkIII came into vogue with a fixed charger bridge the "nib" was no longer required." The nib refers to a tear drop bulge punched out in a Mark II charger. May someone who has SMLE MkI post a photo of this sliding guide so I can understand the above explanation? Thanks aforehand.

Now I have proof of this Mk I rifle connection. First you must read the attached page from BRITISH ENFIELD RIFLES Vol. 1 by Stratton, Charles R., ISBN 13 188239131-8 3rd edition. It describes and shows the drawing of Mk I Lee-Enfield. If I understand it correctly, there is only half of standard charger guide on the left present AND it also moves forward when the bolt is pulled all the way back (open position). Therefore an extra bump on the charger itself is supposed to give human fingers more stability and guidance on the right, which is the least stable half of the charger, left being contained and supported by the charger guide.
DSCN2635.jpg

Now I have proof of this Mk I rifle connection. First you must read the attached page from BRITISH ENFIELD RIFLES Vol. 1 by Stratton, Charles R., ISBN 13 188239131-8 3rd edition. It describes and shows the drawing of Mk I Lee-Enfield. If I understand it correctly, there is only half of standard charger guide on the left present AND it also moves forward when the bolt is pulled all the way back (open position). Therefore an extra bump on the charger itself is supposed to give human fingers more stability and guidance on the right, which is the least stable half of the charger, left being contained and supported by the charger guide.
View attachment 131191
The extra "bump" is also on all Mark I chargers.
gravelbelly