What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII German 5 cm Pak 38 Antitank Cannon

M8owner

It seems that I have agreed to purchase a Pak 38 that is located only ten miles away from me in Texas. It will need to be restored and has a hole in the barrel - part of the demilitarization process to get it imported. I plan on shooting with it one day. May I ask if any of our members have any technical manuals on this gun or perhaps the optical sight? It is my understanding the current owner has already amassed most of the parts needed to restore it. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Pak 38 back.jpg
    Pak 38 back.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Pak 38.jpg
    Pak 38.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 106
What a really nice piece of history, well done !!! ....and more oomph than your 37mm (iirc)
However, how hard is it to restore to live firing such that the hole is not a weak point in the barrel?....eitherway, Ill be looking forward to the progress

Hello Rich - Fixing the hole is just a question of money. The hole is in the chamber. A proper repair involves boring out the chamber, making an adapter with a new chamber and them welding in the adapter and the hole. A very expensive exercise to have the professionals do it over here.

Gutted, that would have been ace Steve, Id loved to have seen a 5cm and round...even if it wasn't shooting.
I'm looking forward to hearing about the next target acquisition
Rich