What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Russian 100mm Armor Piercing Round for the SU-100 Tank Destroyer

M8owner

I get the impression that post war Russian 100mm ammunition is not too hard to find in Europe as it was used in the T54/T55 tanks. I was able to put together this complete AP round with a 1944 dated case. The HE projectile appears to be dated 1984 for comparison. I know the 122mm complete AP round here for comparison should not have the projectile on the case as it was separately loaded; however they do fit together very tightly. I did do some restoration work on the armor piercing projectile to lessen the severity of the corrosion pitting.

Attachments

• IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3330.JPG
    IMG_3330.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 100mm AP bottom.jpg
    100mm AP bottom.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 100mm AP.jpg
    100mm AP.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 100mm Case Bottom.jpg
    100mm Case Bottom.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 87
  • Russian 100 and 122mm AP Tank Rounds.jpg
    Russian 100 and 122mm AP Tank Rounds.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 107
M8, lovely to see these side by side 100mm, 122mm projectiles and cases... very jealous

However, does anyone know why Russian projectiles are almost always severely pitted ...I've always assumed it must be the quality / composition of the steel, or perhaps the paint was much thinner or of different constituents.
rich

Why did the Russians feel it necessary to put those one or two deep, radial grooves around the bourrelet of all their WWII armor piercing projectiles: 76, 85, 100 and 122mm? I still cannot fathom their purpose.

Those are tension release and breaking grooves. The nose is hardened, and tends to break apart upon high speed impact with armour ( the Russians use no piercing caps). The breaking grooves enshures the tension flows away into the grooves and if the projectile breaks apart, it breaks on the groove, leaving the rest of the projectile complete to pierce the target.

Last edited:
My understanding about these grooves is to keep the explosive cavity intact after piercing the target. When the projectile impacts and travels in the armor it is being compressed. After leaving the armor on the other side it springs outwards trying to regain its original shape and because of the tension it breaks apart while the delay element in the fuze is still burning. The grooves are to control this side-effect. With the use of the self-regulating delay fuzes that detonate right in the moment of the complete penetration (like the DBR, DBR-2) these grooves have become obsolote.

V.

Here is a UBR-412D 100mm AP round for the middle east market. This sold at auction in the US today. Base fuze is a DBR-2.

Attachments

• Russian 100mm AP3.jpg
    Russian 100mm AP3.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Russian 100mm AP2.jpg
    Russian 100mm AP2.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 37
  • Russian 100mm AP.jpg
    Russian 100mm AP.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Russian 100mm AP 2.jpg
    Russian 100mm AP 2.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Russian 100mm ammo poster.jpg
    Russian 100mm ammo poster.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I guess it is not for the "middle east market". It looks like re-stenciled ammo for the T-54/55 tanks captured by Israel during the Six-day and Yom Kippur Wars.