What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proper fuze for Russian S-5O Illumination rocket?

Davehal9000

Am trying to find or if I have to make a copy of the fuze I need for a Russian S-5-O/S-5O illumination rocket. I can't find much data on that model of rocket. Anyone have any info as to which fuze is correct?

Hallo,
I'm baffled with the functioning of this type rocket. The rocket motors are all the same and are closed towards the front by a bulkhead. The frontal warheadtube contains another metaltube, in which the flare with parachute are positioned. This inner tube is also closed by a metallic bulkhead towards the front. I do not understand on how the flare can be ignited and expelled from that inner tube. Also, the inner tube has to be expelled from the warhead-section-tube. Is this rocket meant to function in the air (by a timefuze) or is it supposed to be shot at the ground and the warheadtube acting as a mortar from which the inner flare-container-tube is shot into the air. I can not see on how the firetransfer should work and how the rockettube and warheadtube are seperated. Can anyone clarify ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.

My understanding is the S-5O/S-5-O (which is it??) doesn't have a chute. The S-5-O1 is the parachute flare rocket.

The S-5-O1 for sure uses the VB-5 fuze.

My issue here may be finding the right nomenclature. Have found reference to both an S-5O and an S-5-O. If they are the same thing, it uses the V-5M1. If they are two different rockets, who knows.

Ilklum fuzes 2.jpg

This photo mentions another fuze

C-5-O 005.jpg

Last edited:
"Rockets S-5O had a length of 885 mm without fuse, 230 mm tail swing. Weight 4.92 kg projectile. The projectile equipped with a remote handset I-71 with a response time to 17 seconds.
Upon ignition of the fuel composition of the light intensity reached 1MkD. torch burning time was 18.3 seconds. Launch C-5O was equipped with a parachute, let us reduce the speed of 15-20 m / s. The height of the start of the torch glow of about 640 meters, the height of the end of the glow -. About 370 m tabular firing range missiles S-5O was 3 km."

http://armyman.info/aviaciya/oruzhie/rakety-vp/868-s-51955.html

Hallo Davehal9000,
the google translations of the page you show are absolute gibberish. A pity that I don't understand russian. Could "I-71" be a timefuze with 17sec. delay ? In the above report also a parachute is mentioned.
regards,
Bellifortis.

Pretty sure I-71 is the fuze. It is a time delay fuze. Just can not find any photos of it. The Czechs reference the sa.e fuze. Wonder if it's not an older fuze that was phased out?

Can anyone here explain the different first letters in russian fuze designations. Mostly it's "V"or"W" depending on how you translate, "N" and the above "I". What do these letters stand for ? As with other russian munitions desiganations these letters must stand for a word. So, what V , N , and I stand for ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.
Pretty sure I-71 is the fuze. It is a time delay fuze. Just can not find any photos of it. The Czechs reference the sa.e fuze. Wonder if it's not an older fuze that was phased out?