What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordnance printing methods.

BMG50

Premium Member
Anyone know the correct printing method for lettering applied to modern mortar bombs like the 51, 60 and 81mm. Is it silk screening?

May or may not be relevant to what you're working on but I use a stencil cutting machine called the Silhouette Cameo. It comes with an art program that's better than anything I had ever used.

I can take an internet image of say a grenade, load it into the art program and have it capture the stenciling in the photo. I usually have to spend some time cleaning the stencil up some. Alternatively I'll go online and find a font close to what I need (always Russian), download the characters I need, fine tune them, and turn it into a stencil. The machine can cut anything from fabric, thin metals, plastic or various tapes.

I started using vinyl sheet but ended up having trouble removing it from some pieces when I was finished. I now use masking tape on the supplied cutting board and make stencils that way. Pick out the parts you don't need, apply and airbrush. Fortunately most everything I do was crudely done originally so the process is forgiving of mistakes if I demask too soon, touch the wet paint with an x-acto knife, etc.

20160408_091714.jpg

Actually I been doing a similar thing, I have copied the design with a similar font on a 2D cad, manipulated the font, when I think it's right I will print out the design on clear acetate and hold the design over the original and tweak it until it's correct and then laser cut a stencil from a sticky lable or masking tape and spray the stencil, hopefully it will work.