What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 transit or transport plug

nc2479

Hi, Just joined after my 1st visit to the Somme b/fields. I need help identifying a transit plug I picked up.
First, a basic question - what is the correct name? Are they transit plugs, transport plugs or what? I've been told these took the place of the fuse on artillery shells until they were readied for use at the front line.
The markings are "No 3" and what looks like "111" but could be either "11E" or "11F".
So far I've just used a wire brush to clean up. Any advice on alternative [quicker!] cleaning methods?
Thanks, NC2479

Welcome NC2479. They are simply known as Plugs and ensured a safe method of storage and transport. Some were brass, some steel and no doubt other metals have also been used. If yours are brass then perhaps giving them a bath in a household cleaning chemical or cheap fizzy drink will help, as a wire brush is abrasive. With regard to dunking them in a liquid bath, check them every few hours to make sure the zinc in the brass is not being leached out. You will know if it is because the plug will turn the colour of copper. Don't forget to give them a good rinse afterwards. Regards, XT.

These were used with WW1 Shell 6" , 12 and 14 Pounder in specifically for Lyddite filled shell. They were lead free to prevent reaction with Picric Acid, thus forming Lead Azide which is extremely sensitive to shock or friction.

Attachments

• Plug Fuzehole No 3 Special.jpg
    Plug Fuzehole No 3 Special.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 44
Hi Dave, I thought I read somewhere on the site that posting photos was forbidden. Anyway, here goes.....
DSC02155.jpg Transit plug 2.jpg

My wife suggested it was a sump plug from a 1963 Massey Ferguson!
All/any serious suggestions welcome.

Rgds. NC

Hi Ammotechxt, Thanks for the suggestions. Photos attached - this is definitely cast iron; nothing so fancy as brass! I've used a wire brush todate but will get the drill + attachment on it this weekend.
Rgds. NC

Hi AE501, Thanks for the info & picture. I'm sure it's a plug but different profile to your photo. Material is cast iron or steel. I assume it's English because of the 'No 3'; if German I would expect it to read 'Nr. 3'; Found on a Somme field where one of my great uncles fell [26Oct16].
Rgds. NC

A picture tells a thousand words. The minute I saw it I knew what it was, but you could never work it out without the pictures.
It is a Plug Fuzehole 2" No 3 which has been modified for someone's specific task. Perhaps your wife knows something?
The bar looks as though it is a tommy bar for undoing something which just happens to fit into a slot in the plug top.
The drawing is for a Shell HE 9.2". The other Plug No 3 special was also used in 9.2" HE, but the equipment was removed from the navy specification list when the 9.2" gun was transferred to the army for coast defence. RN has always been more sensitive than the army about azides because they are operating in a salt water/salt spray environment.

Attachments

• Plug FH 2" No 3 - 1.jpg
    Plug FH 2" No 3 - 1.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 33
Hi AE501,
I'm so sorry.....for misleading you!! The plug is unmodified. I rested it on a sharpening stone to keep it level while taking photo's. Opps..my bad!
Thanks for confirming what it is. I just need to clean it up now!
Thanks again, Noel