What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrage Baloons with Grenades ?

The rocket fired anti aircraft system used parachutes either end of the wire to bring down the planes the Germans did some thing to the wings of the planes so your device was fitted to the barrage balloon cables to counter this.... of cause we the British devised a cable cutter built into the wing of the plane

It would appear from Tony's post that my item has no connection to barrage balloons whatsoever & is basically a free firing rocket AA system .

I'm running late as usual, just not enough hours in the day. Here are a few pages from my document - it is only an FM, not a TM as I had stated, but it is the only document on the US BB that I have ever found. I only had time to scan a couple of pages, but hopefully it answers some questions - for this version at least.

BB-1.jpgBB-2.jpgBB-3.jpgBB-4.jpgBB-5.jpgBB-6.jpg

I'm running late as usual, just not enough hours in the day. Here are a few pages from my document - it is only an FM, not a TM as I had stated, but it is the only document on the US BB that I have ever found. I only had time to scan a couple of pages, but hopefully it answers some questions - for this version at least.

Brilliant. Many thanks for posting that. Also describes the basic link between the rocket and the balloon AAD's.

John

The AAD bomb was effective but it was realised much later in the war that it produced limited shrapnel. A further bomb device was trialled which produced shrapnel. I will see if I can dig out a picture in my files.