What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 40mm Bofor's projectile

Hi Guy's, I was wondering if anybody can help identify this 40mm projectile. At first I thought it might be Czech or Polish but after posting it on a facebook group the general consensus is that the fuse is incorrect AZ1504, and that the case is aslso wrong being of WWII German manufacture. After several suggestion's I am no wiser, I have been looking at the crown type symbol and the nearest thing I can find that comes close is a Danish stamp I have seen on another projectile. Any help identifying would be much appreciated. I may be able to find out what is the correct fuse for it then.

20170212_192515.jpg20170212_192444.jpg full.jpg

Last edited:
After a lot of hours searching I can find no similar projectile. I think that possibly this is a TP round and takes a nose cap and not a fuse. All HE type projectiles that I have found appear to be of two part construction. I would have thought that there would have been a lot more information on the Bofor's round from Sweden but I could find nothing other than the history of the guns.

Trevor,

These images may help you. (taken from swedish 'Amregister II, 1949')

Attachments

• adk.jpg
    adk.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 84
  • adk_2.jpg
    adk_2.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 34
No problem at all.

Here some more 40mm drawings/details taken from the 1960's Amregister

Attachments

• swed 40mm_Page_1.jpg
    swed 40mm_Page_1.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 42
  • swed 40mm_Page_2.jpg
    swed 40mm_Page_2.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 34
  • swed 40mm_Page_3.jpg
    swed 40mm_Page_3.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 42
  • swed 40mm_Page_4.jpg
    swed 40mm_Page_4.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 32
  • swed 40mm_Page_5.jpg
    swed 40mm_Page_5.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 26
  • swed 40mm_Page_6.jpg
    swed 40mm_Page_6.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 19
Hello,
I'm not familiar with swedish, anyone can point me out where the M/43 in pics is showed in manual please?
regards

Hello,
I'm not familiar with swedish, anyone can point me out where the M/43 in pics is showed in manual please?
regards

The 40mm HE M/43 is not mentionned in this manual.
I checked in complete "Amregister 1949" and "Amregister 1960", nothing.

Two things to note
1. the caption on the round is M/43 (capital M means Navy while Army used m/43 )
and that makes sense if its produced by Karlskrona "naval yard" (can't remember the formal name it's not "yard", but they did produce ammo i Karlskrona for shure)

2. IF and I see no reason not, the grenade a slhpgr m/43 and in such case it should use a base fuze.

Cheers
/John

Hi John, did these type of rounds use a nose fuse for impact and a base fuse as well for self destruction. I read something about this a while ago but I am not sure if that applies to older projectiles. I am assuming that this projectile is older than 1949 and may not have been in the 1949 edition. I could not find it myself but did find similar rounds, The Swedish type round is the only round I have been able to find with such a small nose fuse. Thank you for the information on the "M" so I now know that it is Naval.