What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N50 Mk 1

Richard709

Hi, Does anyone have any info on the N50 Mk 1, It is a tall steel box about about the size of 2 H50's one on top of each other, sorry I don't have any photo's at this moment but I should be able to get some in a couple of days.
Richard

The package prefix 'N' has never been used in any of the pre WWII and WWII ammunition package marking systems.
By 1968, as marked on the package, there were RN packages with a letter 'N' prefix, for dedicated naval stores.
I do not know whether such packages were for munitions only, or whether this particular package is a general use naval package, which could reasonably be made to hold sandbags, among other things.
What has to be considered is that it is RN policy, that if it could go aboard ship, it must be packaged as though it will be.
What in Land Service use, i.e. sandbags, would be Water, Rot and Fire retardant treated, then tied in bundles to go into storage, for however long, would in naval service, have to be protected from salt water/spray, just in case they went aboard ship.

Hi, Does anyone have any info on the N50 Mk 1, It is a tall steel box about about the size of 2 H50's one on top of each other, sorry I don't have any photo's at this moment but I should be able to get some in a couple of days.
Richard

One of its packing configurations was to hold six cylinders N31 Mk 1 for submarine signals etc. The following pyrotechnic stores could be packed in this way:

Candle Smoke White Mk 4 Mod 2
Candle Smoke White Mk N6
Candle Smoke Yellow Mk N7
Float Signal Submerged Mk N3
Float Signal Submerged Mk N4
Submarine Bubble Decoy

Hi Bonnex, Thank you very much for the information, makes sense as I also picked up an N55 complete with 4 N31 Cylinders,

Web N55 001.jpgWeb N55 002.jpgWeb N55 003.jpgWeb N55 005.jpgWeb N55 006.jpgWeb N55 007.jpgWeb N55 008.jpgWeb N55 009.jpg

They are a bit grubby but should clean up alright. I will know have to see if I can find another 6 N31 for this box. Do you have any packing diagrams, I would be interested in any internal packing that goes with the box ??.