What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mysterious German Egg Hand Grenade

Nudelmannrichter

Hey guys,

a bloke sent me these pics.
Well... looks like the well known German Egg Handgrenade Mod. 17 n.A.
But: What about the size and fuze?
Fuze with hexagonal head has a quite fine thread, not very typical to me.
Has been found in Germany.
Must admit that even if I've seen a lot, never stumbled across one like this.
Any opinions? (sorry these pics are all I have - no more pics no more info :tinysmile_angry2_t:)

thanks a lot!

Nudel
egg2.jpg
egg1.jpg
egg3.jpg

Hello
i am no expert by any means
but ive put 3 images that might help you,
image 1 shows the ww 1 fuses associated with the ww1 eirhangranate (egg grenade mle 1917,
and another one has a cut away of the fuzes
image 3 shows 3 ,
2 with the basic early fuse in them and number 3 the later fuse,
i know that during the Spanish civil war they used ones bought from Germany after ww1, and i have seen them ,
in pictures in ww2, of similar looking ones

but your fuse, i dont recognize .

Attachments

• fuzes-delhome.jpg
    fuzes-delhome.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 19
  • EierSchema2.jpg
    EierSchema2.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
the attached image looks to be a good candidate for your one :)

Oberfeldwebel from Division "Großdeutschland" with a grenade launcher pistol (Kampfpistole and Wurfkörper 361

Attachments

• 111c87131e7559467b5d633ce507c7b3.jpg
    111c87131e7559467b5d633ce507c7b3.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 47
Hi sommetraveller,

thanks for your input. In your fist posting you show the standard variations of the EHG 17 and EGH 17 n.A. with the different types of fuzes. The Wurfkoerper 361 is in fact an Egg Handgrenade 39 mounted on a wooden stick and launched from the Kampfpistole. But the is WW2 and here the Egg Handgrenades have been made from thin sheet steel pressed in shape. What I showed is a larger WW1 pattern from cast iron. Still confused about that..

Hey Vinny,
thanks. Would you mind to shoot a pic of your specimen just for comparison?

I wonder if nobody notices that the fuze shows a total uncommon fine thread and that the size of the egg is way bigger than the normal one.
Just curious.

thanks
nudel

In my opinion it's experimental. It doesn't exist in any known documentation I think...

Yes, Alpini you might be correct. As it comes from Germany and not found at the frontline it could be experimental. I wonder if other experimentals are known. Why making such a different thread. The fine threads always remind me to rifle grenades. Bur here no clue. Thanks Nudel