What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GREAT WAR FRENCH (??) 120mm PROJECTILE...

starshell

Premium Member
View attachment 130836View attachment 130837View attachment 130838

Hello all,
Could anyone here help identify this 120mm projectile. I'm guessing its a French pre-first war 120mm judging by shape and driving band, but could be miles off.
My info on French ordnance is pretty thin on the ground.
What I do have drawings wise doesn't show this projectile, although others illustrated match the fuse socket dimensions only?

Height of shell as is minus fuse.....355mm
Width of driving band......15mm
Distance between base of shell and driving band.....27mm
Fuse socket diametre.....41mm (+/-1mm)

I'm guessing this shell would have had an adapter fitted prior to the fuse going in, but again, I could be well off the mark.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Cheers!
D

Hello,

I understand you could think to a French 120mm with this shape, but the driving band is not typically French.
So I think you have a nice example of ww1 Belgian 12cm HE (powder or explosive). This one need the fuze "fusée de place".

Regards

Belgian shells.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Minenaz16,
Always rely on you for the answers!
Would you happen to have an image or drawing of the fuse for this type of shell. French stuff I'm weak on, Belgian stuff more so!
Still, its a cracking little shell.
Do you know much about Belgian gun batteries insofar as where they were placed or any major campaigns they might have fought in, guns used etc?
Many thanks again,
D

In the old "Lange Max" museum in Koekelare, they had it with a different fuze. But this one has only 1 groove in the driving band, so I'm not entirely sure if it is exactly the same type as yours.

DSCF1196.jpg