What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cordtex fuze box

kiwieod

found this nice cordtex fuse box at a fleamarket on the weekend.it has some newspaper inside which looks like it was part of the original packaging and is dated around 1975.
we don't see this sort of thing down here much so was very happy to find it

Attachments

• P1030061.JPG
    P1030061.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P1030062.JPG
    P1030062.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 49
Dave, That date will be fine.
These Case Wooden Packages (CWP) Trade packs were used because because operational holdings, which as I recall were packed in a M340 containing 2 x 500' reels in hat boxes (STO cylinders) were being used needlessly for demolitions of unserviceable ammunition on demolition grounds and ranges, rather than for operational requirements.
These trade packs with 4 x 500' reels, very simply packed were purchased to prevent the unnecessary use of expensively packaged cordtex.
I used plenty.

I first changed from the M340 to the CWP Trade Pack in 1959 at my depot and I think this was the first time they were purchased.
They have been obtained from trade when required ever since. Cordtex is readily available from trade because it is extensively used in mining.
There are other types such as Geoflex which is used in seismology and Aquaflex which is used in deep sea oil/gas drilling. Both of these have a greater explosive core and different outer to absorb extreme pressures.