What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30x170 APDS cartridge for the Rarden AFV L21A1 gun

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a 30x170 APDS cartridge for the Rarden AFV L21A1 gun. It is capable of penetrating the armour of APC’s and the side and rear armour of main battle tanks.

The projectile consists of a aluminium pusher plate with a nylon driving band, in which the tunsten alloy penetrator is placed. A nylon four piece sabot is pressed over the pusher. On top of the tungsten penetrator an aluminium cap is placed that gives a bright flash upon impact with the target.

After leaving the barrel, the sabot breaks into four pieces over the weakenings, and falls away. The airstream releases the tungsten alloy penetrator from the pusher that also falls away , allowing the penetrator with a small cross section to fly to it’s target.

The Rarden gun is used in the Fox armoured car, the Sabre armoured car, the Scimitar light tank and the Warrior APC.

Vo. : 1175 mtrs/sec
Projectile weight : 300 grams
Penetration : 40 mm @ 45 degrees angle, equals 56mm @ vertical.

A big thank you to Dave (SG500) who helped me with the missing part; the tungsten alloy penetrator.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 30mm Rarden APDS.jpg
    30mm Rarden APDS.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 90
Nice work DJH. Do you have any of the many Rarden APFSDS versions in section also?

Dave.

No, to my regret this is the only one. I am still also looking for the APHE and APSE version, but an APFSDS would be welcome too.

Regards, DJH

Your sectioning skills are the best I've ever seen! All of you work looks like factory made examples, DJH!

Jason

Thanks folks, there's more to follow.....
Next posting will be No.300 on the Wk2ammo forum, it's going to be a "bit bigger" (no, not my mother in law), and special I think.
It will also be posted here.

A "bit bigger"? I look forward with much anticipation to your sectioned 80 cm calibre Gustav projectile. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t