Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    That's something I'd wondered about. If that's the case then maybe it's been altered from a military box into a tool box. Unless somebody recognises it 100% then I dare say I'll never know, but it's fun to poke around with these things and it's great when everyone chips in to solve a mystery.....or not, maybe !!
    If anyone has any more ideas please pitch in with your suggestions, but if everyone's had enough then let me just say thanks for all your head scratching and pearls of wisdom.
    Cheers everyone
    Jon

Premium Member
    Thanks
    I still think it's been made that way, and is not modified. If an existing box had the extra height added, it's a bit of a coincidence that the extension is nailed together in the same manner as the lower part. Different colour timbers can be the result of using second hand materials, or having just aged differently. Old planks or floorboards can be different colours on opposite faces depending on exposure to light and useage.

Does the inside of the box have any signs (screw holes, glue marks, etc) of having ever had partitions, support blocks, turnscrews, or retaining straps?

Does the outside have any signs of how the lid was secured closed other than the current fittings?

Thanks
    No, there's no suggestion of inner partitions etc.
    The outside offers no further clues either...I actually though the hasp might be original, but one of the fixings is a bit weird to say the least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12