What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unsure Help Required

take-down

Been a while since I posted But work dictates
A friend sent me some photos of a Shell & Projectile For ID
He did not have a tape measure with him and it will be a while before he can get back to measure
No guarantee they belong together but your thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers & Thanks

The case and projectile both look to be 6 Pdr. They are both old, but I'm thinking the case is the older of the two. The band on the projo is typical Elswick Ordnance Co. patent. The only puzzling thing, is the very low stake mark on the case. We would need to see if there is a corresponding groove on the projectile to align with the stake mark. It would also help to know the markings on the fuze.

Apart from the time ring on the fuze, what other markings are there?

Thanks
Cheers

I have a 6 pdr, 57x376R.Case is later than this one 1897, marked Vickers, but having Nordenfelt characteristics. The base of the one in question looks like early Hotchkiss, using the built up construction, riveted base. The 3 dot crimp looks Nordenfelt and ring around primer likewise. would think the fuze ID would be the key to the identity. My round has copper plated , base fuzed, projectile.

Sorry I didn't know he had already posted as I haven't contacted him
But thanks for everybody's reply It is a very interesting piece
May be above my pay grade though