What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 era Luger wanted

GrahamMk5

Advice please. I want to add a WW1 era Luger PO8 to my collection, anyone know what I should look for before buying and have a recommended dealer? Thank you.

I assume you mean a deactivated one, not Section 5, Section 7. Make sure it is legally deactivated with UK Proof House markings and original deactivation certificate. Look also at how the item has been deactivated, has the deactivation work been done in a clean and tidy way, or does it look like someones attacked it with an angle grinder?

Obvious thing with any collectible firearm is condition, condition, condition. Look for matching parts, including correct magazine, original finish, etc. Look at screw heads, are they damaged? Is wear to the surface even and in keeping with the pattern of wear from use or rubbing in a holster? Have any parts been replaced with reproduction or replica parts? Have any parts been touched in with cold blue (you can sometimes smell this). Are grip panels original and matching or have they been replaced by reproductions? Are there signs that the gun has been reblued, such as speckling underneath the blue where surface rust has not been completely polished out. Is there any damage, missing parts, rust or pitting?

Does the gun have British Proof marks added. (Not deactivation marks but Proof marks from past use as a live firearm in UK)

Luger specific. Read the books, go on the Luger collectors forums and learn what to look for. Learn what markings and parts finish should be present on a WW1 pistol, and what markings are later additions.

When you are comfortable that you have sufficient knowledge, make sure you have the funds ready to make the purchase in cash. It is always best to purchase face to face so you can see exactly what you are getting, and you can haggle a bit on price with that wad of cash in your hand. Go to some of the larger arms/militaria fairs, see what is there, talk to the stall holders. Don't necessarily buy the first thing you see, but if it ticks the boxes don't hesitate too long, there are probably other collectors looking for the same item, so ask the vendor if they would hold the item for you for an hour.

It's not easy or always appropriate to recommend dealers. The best one will be the dealer that actually has the item you want, in genuine condition, at the price you are happy to pay. Next best will be one that through contacts can find the item for you.