What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eurostar

exat808

Ordnance approved
This may have been posted before, apologies if I am repeating it.
Just found this on Twitter. Guess the BOCN summer trip to France wont be on Eurostar?

Attachments

• eurostar.jpg
    eurostar.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 108
And having re-read the Notice could we be really pedantic and say that as only "bomb and shell souvenirs" are prohibited then grenades and small arms must be ok?
If in doubt speak to the highly trained Eurostar EOD/UXO advisers!

The problem is that a lot of tourists from UK used to collect lot of ww1 stuff when they walk through fields in the North of France !
Security staff, policemen and customs often call our EOD team to recover all ordnance. These security people are not trained in EOD/UXO identification so they call even when inert stuff or remains of ordnance are found in luggages or cars. The foreigners don't understand why they can't transport these objects while they are collected freely in the fields in France!
Therefore a warning sign could help :tinysmile_shy_t:
Regards

And then, typically, the sign seems to show WW2 ordnance..... :neutral:

More relevant.... isn't it a tad late in the day to try and prevent mishaps with battlefield relics when people are boarding eurostar.... They'd have to have been travelling with it for some time already.

Better start proper on site education. Explaining the dangers related to ERW and the problem identifying a find as an ERW,...( In my experience a lot WW1 ordnance is especially ambiguous in it's appearance... most people wouldn't think of say a "VB" as something explosive.... :... "strange oilcan/bottle/medicin jar..that " ....). So I wouldn't at all be surprised iff many went arround carrying stuff they would have never picked up iff only they had known that something looking seemingly innocent might be rather dangerous.

regards

Last edited:
This thread reminded me of a poster I photographed on my last trip to Japan.
Explosives including ammunition and dynamite can be carried on the Tokyo metro depending on quantity and condition of packaging.

Attachments

• IMG_5375.jpg
    IMG_5375.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 30