What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stokes Mortar Pistols

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, Has anyone got any information on who manufacturerd the Pistols for the stokes mortar i have two with different letters, one with CAV and the other TS III any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Andy

For CAV, I have two US marks :
- CAVCO (with no other info)
- CATALYST RESEARCH CORP

That's all I have found here ! Good luck with that !

Yoda

C.A.V. - C.A. Vandervell & Co. London
T.S. Might be Tilley & Stevens, Maidstone.

TimG

TS is Tweedales and Smalley Ltd, Castleton, Manchester. They made both the pistols and the bombs, and used the monograms TS, TS/C and T&S.

Tom.

on the same subject can anyone say who IMP is also found on a stokes pistol
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/76762-3in-stokes-mortar-pistols?highlight=stokes

The corrosion makes it a challenge, but 3INCH I MP is Pistol (Stokes Trench Howitzer Bomb) 3-inch MkI, with a good chance of the manufacturer being Mather & Platt, Manchester - they made both 3 and 4-inch Stokes bombs amongst many other products.

MP was the monogram used by the company on larger items such as 4.5-inch shell, MR for Manchester.
MR

Tom.

The corrosion makes it a challenge, but 3INCH I MP is Pistol (Stokes Trench Howitzer Bomb) 3-inch MkI, with a good chance of the manufacturer being Mather & Platt, Manchester - they made both 3 and 4-inch Stokes bombs amongst many other products.

MP was the monogram used by the company on larger items such as 4.5-inch shell, MR for Manchester.
MR

Tom.

Thanks very much Tom