What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Czech bombs ?

Dreamk

Looking for something else, as usual, I stumbled on these photos of "ww2 period Czech bombs" (- though I am rather dubious about the Czech origin) - could someone identify it?
Czech 50kg.gifCzech 50kg 1.gifCzech 50kg 2.gif
They are supposed to be of 50kg bombs - but apparently other calibers existed, at least mention is made of a 150kg one in this series.
Any idea?

No time to look right now, but Skoda made plenty of unique bomb designs, some very interesting. The air portion of the Czech Military Museum is about 50km outside of Prague and has some excellent examples.

OK I have received some more info on these bombs but it remains quite confusing (and may be even more than before):
Here it is:
The bombs shown are ..... locally produced Israeli versions of a Czech pattern bomb, produced during the Israel independence war in 1948 and afterwards, and used till 1953-1956.
They were GP bombs, and existed in at least 2 calibers:
the A100/50 of 100kg weight, whose body was made from a 10" diameter tube (25.5cm)
A100.jpg
the A50/50 of 50kg weight, whose body was made from a 8" diameter tube (20cm)
A50 1.gifA50 2.gif
Another of these bombs, apparently with a higher explosive content was defined as a "Blast bomb":
the A50/80 of 40kg weight ("caliber 50kg") overall length 96cm made from a 10" diameter tube (25.5cm), tail ring diameter 10.5" (27cm)

A fourth one, the A250/50 of 250kg weight, was apparently the name given to the original Czech bomb that served as a model and was supplied in limited number by the Czechs to Israel in 1948, as shown in the following photo taken in the C-54 cargo plane bringing them from Žatec to Israel
1948 Zatec 1.gif1948 Zatec 2.jpg1948 Zatec 3.jpg

So the question remains the same - what was this Czech bomb with such a characteristic and uncommon tail?

Last edited: