What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panther projectile comparison, need input and clarification please

RegPitt

Projectile gurus please contribute...As we know the typical Panther round had a Panzergranate 39/42 - 75mm
projectile with the two driving bands. I am, however seeing more examples of the Panzergranate 39 with its FES
sintered iron, single driving band showing up. Were these early 43 Panther rounds or did they show up later on as well.
Thanks,
Reg
Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 6.49.02 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-03-03 at 8.37.36 AM.png

Hey Reg,

The PzGr 39 was primarily used with the 7,5 cm:

PaK 40 and subtypes (towed and on Sfl.),
StuK 40 L/43 and L/48 (StuG III F8 , G and IV),
PaK 39 (on the Panzerjäger 38 (t) ),
and the Kw.K 40 L/43 and L/48 (Pz.KpfW IV G, H, J)

AFAIK they were not used in the Panther's Kw.k 42.

regards.

Last edited:
Pzgr 39, with the single driving band are for Kw.K 40 and PAK 40......as you say, Pzgr 39/42 are for the Kw.K 42 Panther (Panzer V).

Hi Reg
I have never heard of Pzgr39/42 with a single driving band (by definition), or Pzgr39 used with the 75×640 mm Kwk42 case...as far as I am aware all KwK42 projectiles had a double FES style driving band. (The hesitance Im expressing relates to the use of the thin (Pzgr39) driving band with the 8,8cm KwK43 for a barrel that had fired less than 500 rounds.....but if thats the case, ive never heard of it.

Your first photo, I therefore believe is a standard 7,5cm PzGr39 Projectile as use with the Kwk40 and PaK40.
The second photo looks to be the standard 7,5cm PzGr39/42 projectile for the L/70 Kwk42

There have been some recent articles on BOCN referring to the 7,5cm K.gr.rot projectile for the Kwk37 gun....with both FES and KPS driving bands.. (I think!)
Does this help answer your query?

Last edited:
Just watched it.

The guy may actually believe it himself, but it's absolute rubbish.
Shell and case are repainted, case has rust inside, shell is pitted and has paint inside of rust pitting..... 'nuff said.

Last edited:
Lol, to use a very undervalued phrase, the video is a right load of old codswallop

I don't know how that guy manages to get SO many things wrong. He has made so many videos showing items that are completely misidentified. He amazes me. I know nobody likes a smart arse, and anyone can make a mistake, but really, anyone with a slight amount of basic knowledge knows he is talking out of his bottom most of the time.

I have watched a few of CJ's videos and while he is a nice chap he really does not know what he is talking about.

His video on the 75mm KWK AP round is not a german AP round https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR75ZWTpnJY&t=72s and this is nothing compared to his videos on German awards and badges, an example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKiNTVjuzaY&t=15s which are often poor fakes. I did let him know via Youtube that he was purchasing fake badges and he deleted my comments.

That said he has a hell of alot of nice things, like old spec deactivated MP40's MG34 and MG42's.