What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.7-inch Case and Projectile

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,

Can anyone help with information on this 4.7-inch brass shell case and wooden projectile?

The case measures 4.7" (120mm) across the top and 6" (152mm) across the base. The case length is approx. 16" (405mm) tall. The Headstamp is "B S A & M Co" over "II".

The projectile is made of wood with a copper driving band. It measures 4.5" (115mm) across the base and approx. 17" (430mm) tall. The nose of the projectile has a yellow band over a red band.

I realize that the projectile and case would be loaded separately, but the last photo shows how well they fit together.

Thanks in anticipation for any information.

Cheers,

Gary

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hi Tony,
Perfect!
I've used your website before, but never thought of using the size charts. I will keep them handy for future reference!
I'm sure I should probably know this, but can I ask 2 more questions?
Does the headstamp give any indication of the date of manufacture?
Does the yellow over red band on the projectile mean that it represents a "common shell"?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:
The headstamp doesn't indicate the actual date of production, but this was almost certainly made around the year 1900.

As it has no British acceptance marks, it could have either been made for export or taken from the factory as a souvenir.

Hi Falcon,
Thanks for that.
In the meantime, I found an old post on another website from the late Tony Edwards (screenshot below).
He was commenting on a different case with the headstamp "B S A & M Co"
According to Tony, "Birmingham Small Arms & Metal Company Ltd" was formed in 1873 and divided in 1897, with the small arms factory reverting to its original name of "Birmingham Small Arms Co." and the metal rolling and ammunition factory renamed "Birmingham Metal and Munitions Co."
I guess this means that the case dates from some time between 1873 and 1897.
Regarding the lack of other information on the headstamp, I thought the combination of the case and matching dummy projectile could suggest it was some kind of display or exhibition model...
I'm sure the quality of the projectile and copper driving band are too good for a home-made model.
Cheers,
Gary

image.jpg

The QF 4.7 Inch gun was introduced in 1887, so the case would date from some time between 1887 and 1897.

I completely missed the part about the projectile being wooden.

A display model or sales demonstration piece would make sense, to save somebody having to carry a real projectile around. The driving band certainly does look factory made.