What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3,7 cm rocket assisted projectile

Nabob

Ordnance approved
In the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in Vienna is this projectile on exhibit next to the 3,7cm Infanteriegeschütz M15.

Does anyone have more info, please?

Bob

Attachments

• 3,7 cm.jpg
    3,7 cm.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 166
Hello,
I think this is for the skoda 3,7cm L/70 anti aircraft. After ww1 used by Jugoslavian navy as 37mm L/67
Very interesting Bob, thank you
regards

Last edited:
Thank You fert,
So You would say it is a tracer rather than a powder grain?

Bob

you'r welcome Bob.
Unfortunely no info about this gun and ammunition.
I only know was developed by Skoda in 1909 and further modified in 1911 and 1918.
Alsoo Czech produced an export version as 4cm Z1 on tankette MU-6 and 6MT

czech:
SD-MU6~0.jpgSkoda 6MT & 4cm Z1 dual gun.jpg

jugo:
skoda on Zmaj.jpguitzoeken axis 2.jpg

Austro Hungarian at Budapest museum
IMG_2401.jpgIMG_2402.jpg

Here a couple of rounds from Robert Mellichamp book:
IMG_9001.jpgIMG_9002.jpg

Hard to say who produced your shell and in wich time.... I see a self destruct hole between tracer and explosive charge. This denote a post ww1 productione for me. And also fuze is quite modern design. I suppose a Czeck production.
best regards

Last edited:
Thank You fert,
So You would say it is a tracer rather than a powder grain?

Bob

Hi Bob,
when you look on the piece under the powder grain, it have a special "venturi" shape ! It can effectively be a rocket assisted projectile.
But.....I'm not sure that in the period given by Fert, the technology was thinking about RA projectiles. It can effectively be a long time tracer.

Yoda

You have very good eyes, RichardB !
Now, I ask myself how the, I suppose, black powder grain is ignite ?
By the flame of the propulsive charge ? Impossible with this big plug on the bottom or can I also see a little hole for this action ?
If it is so, the black powder should can serve as propellant AND as self-destruct system of the projectile. That can confirm the AA projectile !

Yoda