What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 pdr Vickers questions

Tony Williams

The Vickers 3-pdr guns which saw service with the RN in WW1 were more powerful than the usual Hotchkiss 3-pdr naval, using a larger cartridge case to achieve a considerably higher muzzle velocity (both guns apparently fired the same range of projectiles). The guns and ammo are described here: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_3pounder_V_mk1.htm

I have just acquired a cartridge case for the Vickers (many thanks peregrinvs, much appreciated!), and am a bit curious about it.

The dimensions are:
Vickers: length 413 mm, rim diameter 68 mm, chamber volume 64 cu/in. Barrel 50 calibres.
Hotchkiss: length 376 mm, rim diameter 64 mm, chamber volume 43 cu/in. Barrel 40 calibres.

According to Friedman's Naval Weapons of WW1, two different Vickers 3-pdr were made: the Mk I and the MK II, both using the same ammo. The Mk I saw a lot of use, later on in high-angle mountings as an AA gun. The Mk II (which he also describes as the "Vickers Mk C") saw very little use, only on board the Severn class monitors.

Both Mk I and Mk II had the same barrel length and the same chamber pressure, so the performance should have been the same, but he quotes the Mk I as achieving 2,587 fps and the Mk II 2,680 fps, despite the fact that he quotes a slightly lighter shell for the Mk I (for comparison with these, the Hotchkiss achieved 1,867-1,927 fps).

My case is stamped VICKERS II. I am puzzled as to why the gun type was marked on the case in this way, when both guns were supposed to be using the same ammo.

Does anyone have any explanation for the differences between the Mk I and Mk II Vickers which might affect the ammo and its performance? Also, are the Mk I and II cases equally uncommon, or is there a difference?

Hi Tony,

I have always understood that the "I" and "II" on the Vickers cases referred to the Mark of case, rather than gun. I have seen far fewer Vickers cases than Hotchkiss cases, and those I have seen have all been Mk.II. Sorry to say I have no idea what the difference between the cases is.

Regards,
Roger.

Normal practice is the Mk number on the case is the case mark not gun mark unless its states gun MK. There were 3 Mks of case, and 4mks of ' cartridge Q.F. 3-PR, VICKERS, Steel Shell '. According to my 1915 handbook. The Mk IV had a MKII case with a MKIII charge of 13ozs 6drams of cordite MD size 8. The MkII charge has the cordite cut differently so this may give the same pressure but over a different time period to alter mv. You are welcome to have a look at the handbook and make notes at the next ECRA meet if you wish.

Just noticed a complication: in Friedman's Naval Weapons of WW1 he gives the chamber volume of the Vickers Mk 1 as 56.26 cu/in and of the Mk II as 64 cu/in, even though he also says that they used the same ammo. Surely both statements cannot be right, as the difference in chamber volumes implies that the dimensions of the cartridge cases were different. Does anyone have measurements or examples to be measured?

Whilst most books are nearly always correct they do have errors and I try and take from two sources minimum, you've only got to look at one of Hoggs books which has a whole page of data mis-placed and another where a fuze number is wrong. And yes the difference on volumes by my understanding would mean different cases. Case design variations might give small differences in volume but no 8 odd cu ins.

Evening Tony, pictured is the headstamp of a case in my collection, potentially a Mk1 case. The case is 415mm long with a rim diameter of 68mm. I would offer the dimensions are close enough to yours to indicate no difference in cubic capacity between a Mk1 and Mk2 case. Happy to provide additional photos if you want to compare and contrast!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited: