What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An odd 3pdr British Hotchkiss blank

Darkman

Strange 3pdr with circular headstamp not in the usual British style. Looks like dots form the letters rather than punch marks.

Headstamp 3PR QF BLANK GB MK 5 2004 GMT

Has a 5mm rifle primer, a steel pipe insert about 150mm long inside, and a 4mm mouth ridge. Chrome plated and 248mm long.

Who is GMT? Is this something made up for saluting blanks for easy reloading, and chromed so it doesn't corrode or swell the case after many firings?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 39
Graeme,

I can't shed any light on the case. However, it's marked using dot-matrix stamping. Was/is? quite popular with motor manufacturers for stamping VIN numbers.

TimG

I have a 25pr of similar construction and have also seen examples of 12prs. It is made with an anodised aluminium body housing a heavy steel insert for the charge. The body is assembled from a length of thick walled aluminium screwed onto the base disc. I assume that these are a low cost alternative to brass cartridges for obsolete guns. I was told that Irish army use them for saluting purposes.

Fred

It could be a Primetake saluting cart. Google "Primetake" and check out their range. Made in UK.
I have an almost identical 3pdr to the one from Darkman.
Regards Ozzi.