What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 1kg bomb

wichitaslumlord

Premium Member
Hello,
I recently found this at a show and added it to the collection. The Japanese ordnance publications show it as a 1kg anti personnel bomb. Is this correct? The construction seems strange for an AP bomb. I was leaning more towards an incendiary due to the sealed compartment in the tail. It also has a rubber nose cone with a brass plunger behind it which functioned the detonator upon impact. The black section is heavy cast iron and the body/tail assembly is sheet metal. A strange design to be sure. The exterior appears to be original paint except for the tail fins which have been painted red at some point.
Any addition information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Pat
100_6729.jpg100_6730.jpg100_6731.jpg100_6732.jpg100_6733.jpg

Last edited:
US Subs posted this a while back
Practice Bomb.jpg

The body should be white vs the blue/red you have.

Last edited:
Out from "TM-E9-1983 Enemy Bombs and Fuzes".

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_5.jpg
    Zuschneiden_5.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 32
The paint should be white and black. Interview records after the war show that this is also one of the bombs used by Unit 731 in their attempts to weaponize bio agents.

DSC_3887.jpg

Hey Pat sometimes you will see these issued late war without paint. I think the blue and red paint is vet done. Good item anyway with red warning tag intact. Hope you are good. Jim japaneseordnance at yahoo.com