What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in what you can tell me about this shell case

kiwicollector

Hi all
This is my first post in this forum so please bear with me. While I am a militaria collector I know nothing about shell cases or how to read the head stamps and all the markings. I have done my best to try to work it out but thought I would see what the experts have to say. It is a beautiful shell case that stands at 600cm, 140mm across the head stamp with a circumference under the rim of 120mm. Loads of cryptic markings with a date of 1918. I hope someone can shed some light on this. Bought this for approx 30 pounds at the scrap metal yard. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2822.jpg
    IMG_2822.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2823.jpg
    IMG_2823.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2826.jpg
    IMG_2826.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 25
Hi - and welcome!

There are three key measurements needed to identify any such cartridge case: the diameter across the rim (the widest part); the length of the case; and the inside diameter of the mouth (which gives an approximate calibre for the gun). For the cartridge dimensions, the Ammo Data Tables on my website may be useful.

It should be noted that larger cases have sometimes been cut short for various reasons, which messes up two of those measurements. In your case, the mouth has obviously been "belled", presumably to make it a better umbrella or walking stick stand, so the calibre can't be determined from that.

So we turn to the headstamps, which is a complex world all of its own. I am no expert, but it looks as if your case had quite an exciting history which some on this site will be able to explain in detail. The most important bit is what appears to be "4 IN Mk V". Coupled with the "broad arrow" war department symbol, this indicates that it's probably British. The "1918" is self-explanatory. Such long metal cases were usually naval. So it would seem in your case. On my site, the 4" Mk V is shown as having a case with a 142 mm rim and a 730mm case length, so it looks as if your example has been shortened as well as belled.

The NavWeaps site gives details of naval guns, with the British 4" Mk V described here. If you click on "more images" you will eventually find this nice pic of the ammo:

WNBR_4-45_mk5_Widgeon_pic.jpg

the F.A. after the gun Mk indicates it was for fixed ammunition ie the shell was crimped into the case and loaded as one item as against the separate loading type.